Pages

Thursday, 10 November 2011

Metro Minute: Natural Curiosity

Here's a brief little thought. I was, well, am taking the metro home from school and was in a discussion with the head of Campus for Christ at McGill. He's studying Church History and mentioned that he was writing a paper on Augustine's “City of God”. He was visibly surprised to learn that I had read most of it myself as part of a high school course, which, of course, led to a lot of me ranting about Veritas Press and how awesome it was for education. I suddenly realized though how much I miss all the reading and discussions in class, even though I would barely engage in audio discussion or would struggle with keeping up with the reading. I find myself realizing that it wasn't the material to learn that annoyed me or even amount of it but the fact that there was pressure to learn it within a certain time frame and to learn it well. Obviously, without a little pressure and push it's not so likely I would, say, pick up the fourth book of Calvin's Institutes and say, “This looks interesting, I think I'll read it over the next few weeks.” but my point still stands. I mean, look at this here. This is me, completely voluntarily, writing a short essay, albeit unpolished, every single weekday. And yet there were very, very few papers to write for Omnibus that I started more than three days prior to it being due. I can't deny that I enjoy writing; honestly, this has been a lot more fun and interesting for me than I originally anticipated and believe me, for me to start I had to anticipate quite a bit. But I just find that the fact that there is not nearly as much pressure on my writing abilities makes it that much more interesting. As I briefly alluded to previously there has to be some pressure otherwise I wouldn't really do much, I'll admit. That is why I've made this a daily blog; it provides an element of pressure to motivate me to keep it up. Why? Because I know that even though there are times where I may not have any ideas (and yes, it is sad to be saying this now, less than a week after the blog has been created) and question whether or not it was a good idea, I know that in the long run I would regret stopping now.

At any rate, this is just me being me and ranting about something that came to mind at an opportune moment. I know I'm calling this a “Metro Minute”. I have no idea if I'll keep these up in some kind of irregular form but, for now it's a subset of my Trains of Thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Go on your way knowing at least one other person shares a similar thought pattern. Disagree? Then leave a comment!