Well this is ironic. This morning as I was stumbling about in a sleepy daze getting ready to go I realized I had no idea what I was going to write about. Or at least, I wasn't really able to make a decision. So I figured I may as well write about indecision as I seemed to be experiencing a heavy dose of it.
I know for me that when I'm offered a blank canvas I rarely know what to do with it. The huge variety of options is often more than a little intimidating. As a child whenever I was given a non-specific set of instructions I would always freeze up. My mom would note that when I was told to, say, draw a house, I would have no idea what to do. But tell me, “Draw a house with three windows, a chimney, and a porch.” I would go happily on my artistic journey.
Of course, I'm not just here to discuss my difficulties with drawing given a generic set of directions. I know I've struggled a lot with decisions in general all through growing up. Whenever I would be able to take my allowance to the store making the right decision was always hard. When it came time to decide which sport to stick with I agonized over it for days and weeks. Choosing which faculty to go into at university took well over a month. Really, though, I find it boils down to wondering if the grass is perhaps greener on the other side. Even now if I ever make a purchase I walk out of the store (or away from the computer if it's an online order) thinking about and wondering if I really made the best decision there.
Now, obviously, a lot of decisions well deserve the exorbitant amounts of time put into them. Things such as buying a house or a car, what to do with a job offer that would require moving across the country, whether or not to get married and, if so, to whom, what university to attend, and so on and so forth. Taking a long time with decisions like these is really not a problem and even advised. In fact, as I'm those who know many have probably guessed, I could carry on for a long while about how people making the third decision I mentioned too quickly is largely responsible for the rather pathetic state of the world today.
However, while those merit long, drawn out processes, things like buying a t-shirt, choosing a picture for the week (yes I know I know), what to write about on the train ride in the morning, or what dessert one should consume on a given evening should not take much time at all. For example, with the first one, buying a t-shirt, the process should go like this:
“Do I need it?”
“Do I like it?”
“Is it within my budget?”
If the answers to all those questions is yes, then you are done. Decision made. Key part of it, obviously, is the last question but that's another topic for another time.
So what was the whole point of this ramble? Basically, don't blow decisions out of proportion. Keep a good perspective on things and be rational about it. And, obviously, pray about the big ones. That tends to help I find.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Agree? Go on your way knowing at least one other person shares a similar thought pattern. Disagree? Then leave a comment!