Here's something that's always bothered me. Hipsters. And their mentality in general. I'm not just talking about the morons who just do random, illogical things (i.e. the glasses, the ever-present scarf, the plaid, etc.). No, I'm talking about the world at large.
There's been a running joke on the
internet for a while now about hipsters and almost everything being
too “mainstream” for them. My gripe with this whole deal is that
being hipster is the
mainstream thing nowadays. This simple fact pretty much blows
everything about them in general out of the water. If the point of
being hipster is being different then why the heck are you a hipster
if being one is a popular, common thing to do? The real hipsters
would quit as that's the different thing to do, and if they're all
really what they say they are then we'd have no problems whatsoever.
But alas they're all too busy being commonplace to notice.
Now,
I'm not really here to
yak about hipsters, something I'll admit I actually barely know
anything about, simply because the whole thing seemed moronic to
begin with. The thing here I want to talk about is us.
The world. As a whole.
How
often do you hear the phrase, “I'm not like other
guys/girls/people.”? How often do you hear the phrase, “I'm
exactly like other
guys/girls/people.”? This is my point here. The good news is that
the utterance of the first phrase at least indicates a recognition of
the fact that being like the stereotypical depiction of people (think
media) is not desirable in the least. The bad news is that, well,
the world is still a stupid place. Allow me to explain.
Like I
alluded to in the previous paragraph very rarely will anyone freely
admit to being the stereotype maker in any serious sense. Granted
you'll have people joke about it but let's be honest; when people
joke about being the stereotype all they're really
trying to do is distance themselves from the stereotype. But now,
with so many people trying to break away from the stereotype (I've
said that word a lot....) breaking away is becoming the new norm. A
few years ago hearing someone say “I'm not like other
guys/girls/people.” would be a welcome statement (for me). Now,
unless they provide good, reasonable proof to support their claim
I'll not believe them for a moment. But, we are back to the original
problem; the paradox.
Suppose
that the person making this claim really
has observed the world as a whole, noticed patterns in human
behavior, saw where the problems lay and carefully removed these
problem areas from their personality. Certainly they could truly
claim to “not be like other people.”, right? But, what about the
people who just take whatever minor quirk they have, amplify it, and
then claim “I'm not like other....”? This is such a commonplace
thing to do, all they really do is make themselves more
like other people. The whole
thing basically is that there was a mass movement to get away from
the norm, but now being away from the norm has become the new norm.
Everyone thinks they are special, but, in the words of Syndrome
(modified), if everyone is special, no one is. To an extent of
course...
It's interesting that you're talking about this on your blog. Me and josie were having this exact discussion yesterday after school. If the entire world is weird/different/special, doesn't that become normal? so if weird is normal, does that make being normal abnormal? Josie (not surprisingly) won, and convinced me that the world as a whole would be better if instead of TRYING to be abnormal, we just let our natural abnormalities show. anyways, i'll end with an agreement, being what the world seems to call "normal" and being like other teens... scares me...
ReplyDelete